Current Project: Bawoorrooga Community Self-Help Housing
Bawoorrooga is a small community situated approximately 100km east of Fitzroy Crossing in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. Following a fire in early 2017, the main accommodation building was destroyed which had a detrimental effect on the health and well-being of community members.
The community has invited FISH to collaborate with them in the design and construction of a sustainable house that will form the keystone for future community development and enterprise opportunities. The community is showing initiative and hard-work as they build towards a future of sustainability and self-sufficiency.
Past Project: Broome Sustainable Home
FISH, in association with Landcorp and The Summit Homes Group, completed a demonstration home in 2014. The inaugural Sustainable Home was built in Broome.
- An architecturally designed home built for the unique conditions of Broome.
- Showcasing sustainable housing including appropriate technologies & systems.
- Developing socially & environmentally sustainable construction & engagement methods.
- Contributing toward creating sustainable housing in the north of Western Australia.
- Working towards reconciliation in the region.
Past Project: Junjuwa Community
FISH was invited by the Junjuwa Community near Fitzroy Crossing to provide input into the design of sustainable housing and healthy living programmes. FISH also developed a draft master plan for their Old Bakery Precinct in consultation with the community.
Junjuwa Concept House
- Advanced collaborative concept design by FISH and Junjuwa for local sustainable housing.
- On-site consultation that fully addresses community desires and concerns.
- Design integrated into landscape, local climate, and outdoors lifestyle .
- Adaptable design reconfigurable for specific sites and family needs.
- Approved by Junjuwa community leaders.
Recycling of the Old Bakery
- Recycling of the derelict bakery building as a community hub.
- Provision of a women’s centre, art centre, training centre, and information technology facility.
- Serving also as a tourist cafe, shop, and entertainment facility.
- Centred as the keystone of a redevelopment precinct involving surrounding land.
- Enabling future facilities with a considerably sized housing cluster.